Every year, young people come together at Castlerigg and we walk across the Lake District to the shrine of Our Lady at Cleator on the Big Walk. We will spend the first night at our favourite place, Castlerigg (arrivals from 7pm, no evening meal though there will be sandwiches and crisps available in the evening), and then walk from Honister across Haystacks into Ennerdale, spending the night there in a fantastic hostel with amazing food and open fires before making our way to Cleator. Apart from spectacular views and wild landscapes, the event is a great opportunity to make new friends and to triumph over a physical challenge. The walk is about 10 miles each day. The walk concludes with the diocesan Mass at Cleator at 3pm. We will return to Castlerigg for 6.30pm on the Sunday night.
Price £70 - BOOK NOW
Individual Kit List
Please make sure you have everything on this list as you will not be able to go up the mountains without them. Weather in the Fells is extremely changeable and we need to be prepared for all occasions. You will need two bags – a day-sac to walk with, and an overnight bag (of limited size) which will be dropped off ahead of us by car.
● Walking Boots or sturdy walking shoes not trainers. If you do not have boots, please let us know and we can loan you a pair from Castlerigg.
● Walking Socks, 2 pairs (knit-loop socks reduce friction on the foot, lessening the chance of blisters).
● Light Waterproof Jacket and Waterproof trousers
● Hat (sun hat and woolly hat) and gloves
● Water container (at least 1litre). This is for water only.
● Walking Trousers (not jeans or joggers) – Cotton trousers are the best as they dry out more quickly should they get wet. Jeans and joggers absorb rain and will make you feel very cold.
● Suitable base layer e.g. Breathable T-Shirts
● A few warm layers (we suggest a thin fleece and a thick fleece)
● Black bin liner or some plastic bags to keep your spare clothes dry in your ruc-sac.
● Some emergency high calorie food (e.g. Mars Bars / Kendal Mint Cake etc)
(You will not have to carry these as these bags will be taken to the next stop by car. Please keep to a minimal as there will be limited space in the cars).
● Sleeping Bag and pillow.
● Toothpaste, brush, soap, shampoo etc.
● Dry clothing to wear in the evenings
● Comfortable shoes
● Please think carefully about whether or not you need to bring items such as mobile phones and MP3 Players as this is a great opportunity to get away from any distractions. However if you do feel it is necessary please be aware that we cannot be responsible for loss or damage. There is limited phone signal on the walk.
● Please bring any regular medication you need and remember to pack items such as inhalers in your day-sack for when walking. You will responsible for your medication unless you request otherwise.